Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The things you learn while on vacation

In many ways, a vacation is an educational experience.

Sure, vacations are more often billed as chances to relax or have fun. And they often are. But my experience has always been that you can also learn a whole lot when you venture away from home.

My family and I returned Sunday from a vacation that took us from the Ouachitas of southwest Arkansas, across the Ozarks of Missouri, to the rolling plains of eastern Iowa. It was one-part family getaway, one-part visit to family, hence the jaunt across the Midwest.

But along the way, we had our share of adventures. We rode roller coasters and water slides in Hot Springs. We dug for diamonds outside Murfreesboro. We skipped rocks at the headwaters of the Spring River near the Arkansas-Missouri border. We visited old haunts in central Missouri. We played a pickup game of baseball on the Field of Dreams. We watched a barge move through a lock-and-dam from atop a bluff in Dubuque.

We logged quite a few miles on our Camry, and hopefully made a few memories along the way. But I can say I also returned home a little bit wiser.

For instance, I now know I am no fan of "car" vacations — nomadic trips where you're constantly on the move and living out of a suitcase. For my next vacation, I want to go somewhere and stay there. I've unpacked and repacked the car more than enough times over the past week.

I've learned that traveling wreaks havoc on my digestive system. My body just can't handle changing diets and hours of sitting like it used to. Honestly, I haven't felt "right" in days.

I've learned that I can't go on vacation without frequenting Wal-Marts. I'm not sure a day went by on our trip in which I didn't set foot inside a Wal-Mart. Even after we pledged not to do so, we'd find ourselves in need of band-aids, or sunscreen, or bottled water, or something else, a day later. All the more reason to avoid nomadic vacations.

I've learned that my kids don't need thrill rides to have a good time. When quizzing Katie, 9, and Drew, 7, about their favorite parts of their vacation, neither immediately mentioned our trip to Magic Springs. Instead, they mentioned things like our visit to the National Mississippi River Museum in Dubuque, swimming in the various hotel pools, and playing the Wii with their cousins. It's something to remember when it comes to future vacation planning.

I've learned that when it comes to theme parks, there may be better options than Magic Springs, anyway. With more than a third of its rides closed, and some questionable customer service (not to mention a general lack of air conditioned spaces), Magic Springs was a bit of a disappointment. Next time we're looking for an amusement park within driving distance, we'll likely look to Missouri or Tennessee.

I've learned that Arkansas has some incredibly hot summers. Though from what I've heard, I didn't need to leave home to learn that one.

But most of all, I've learned that I like my home. I've known it all along, of course, but there's something about seeing your house — and your yard, and your bed, and your neighborhood, and your community — for the first time in more than a week that makes you appreciate what you've got.

It's good to be home.

1 comment:

Term Papers said...

I’m so glad someone like you have the time, efforts and dedication writing, for this kind of article… Helpful, Useful.