Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009: The year in status updates

One of the most unique — and perhaps meaningful ways to look back on the past year, I've found, is in "status updates."

"Status updates" are, of course, the short blurbs posted regularly by users of the Facebook social networking site. Status updates convey anything from what you are doing at that particular moment; to what's going on in your life; to efforts to be witty (usually unsuccessful, in my case).

Looking back at a year's worth of "status updates" is an interesting ritual. Here's some of the highlights of my year in status updates, with a few notes,when appropriate:

Jan. 1: "Happy New Year!!!"
I think I ought to get credit for celebrating the dawn of 2009 on Facebook within 22 minutes of its start.

Jan. 7: "just about ready for opening night."
In anticipation of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" at the Ritz. My son, Drew, and I had parts.

Jan. 9: "survived opening night."
It must have gone well.

Jan. 27: "has the song 'Flowers on the Wall' stuck in his head."
I don't know why.

Jan. 28: "a very long day."
Jan. 29: "has been putting together a newspaper by candlelight."
Jan. 30: "has electricity at work again!"
Jan. 31: "thinks 'normal' never looked so beautiful."
Looks like I somehow managed to access Facebook during the ice storm.

Feb. 9: "never could have out-foxed Santino."
Must have watched "The Godfather" that day.

Feb. 26: "has thrown his hat over the wall."
Posted after I signed up to run in my first 5K.

March 3: "celebrating Square Root Day (3-3-09)"
I am not a geek.

March 14: "is listening to the piano improv of two 6-year-olds."
It wasn't half-bad.

March 17: "isn't wearing green."
A post that resulted in several cyber-pinches.

March 22: "putting up a plate of Memphis barbecue ribs against whatever the heck they make in Columbia that Memphis beats Mizzou in their Sweet 16 matchup."
Needless to say, I still owe several people some ribs.

April 5: "Completed his first 5K today."
The first of three on the year.

April 23: "Excited for Drew's debut in coach-pitch baseball tonight."
He went 4-for-4 with a home run and two put-outs. Not too bad.

April 28: "Serenity now!"
Must have been a bit stressed.

May 7: "sick of softball chants."
Chanting is one of the key elements of the game for the 10U crowd.

May 20: "Another dead-on Facebook quiz."
A sarcastic reply to a Facebook quiz labeling yours truly a "Bible Scholar."

May 24: "12 years ago, right now, I was standing at the front of the church, watching the most beautiful girl in the world — and my best friend — walk up the aisle to me."
Posted to the exact minute, I might add.

July 20: "has gone an entire week without a Mountain Dew."
And still (mostly) on the wagon, six months later.

July 23: "thankful for all the birthday wishes on what has been a bizarro-birthday."
I truly was deeply grateful for all those who Facebooked a birthday wish that day. The ironic thing was, unbeknownst to all those who wished me a good day, my mother had passed away that morning. I imagine birthdays will have a different feel for me for quite a while.

Aug. 15: "enjoyed my Rendezvous/Redbirds night."
That sounds really good right now.

Aug. 19: "And so, it begins, again."
In reference to the dawn of a new school year.

Aug. 26: "Every time I fax something, I feel like I'm back in 1998."
Trying (again, unsuccessfully) to be funny.

Aug. 31: "To be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring." — George Santayana
Still trying to live by that.

Sept. 2: "Spent the night rolling hay bales."
Not a euphemism. Was sore for a week.

Sept. 15: "Stay gold, Darry Curtis."
A tribute to the late actor Patrick Swayze, who played Darry in "The Outsiders."

Sept. 17: "Is at dress rehearsal."
This time it was for "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Daughter Katie and I had parts,

Sept. 22: "So long, summer. We've been through a lot together. You'll be missed."
Looking back over a poignant couple of months.

Oct. 21: "Is feeling defoliated."
An annual rite of passage in the Mid-South.

Oct. 22: "The old man is snoring."
It was raining and pouring.

Oct. 31: "It's been a big year for Tootsie Rolls."
On the kids' Halloween haul.

Nov. 22: "Putting up the Christmas trees and decor with Jena and the kids. Big fun!"
We put stuff before Thanksgiving because we celebrate Christmas with my family early.

Dec. 4: "Enjoyed the Blytheville Christmas Parade, and is now looking forward to watching 'The Trial of Ebenezer Scrooge' at the Ritz Theater."
Quite the festive night.

Dec. 8: "Thunder in December?"
What was up with that?

Dec. 10: "Who is Harold Angel? And why should I care that he's singing?"
Trying to be funny again. Still failing.

Dec. 25: "Joy to the world."
Here's hoping the year to come brings us joy and peace ... and clever status updates.

No comments: