Friday, November 30, 2007

I love a parade

Just got in from a fantastic experience over at the annual Christmas parade put on by the Blytheville/Gosnell Area Chamber of Commerce. What a great time. Seriously ... it's one of the events that makes you feel really good about your community.

The weather was perfect for a Christmas parade ... nice and chilly, but not too cold.

I viewed the parade this year from the Lights of the Delta's hay-wagon float (my wife, Jena, is affiliated with the Lights organization.) From that vantage point, the crowd size looked really nice. There were thick crowds from Broadway to one block past the railroad tracks, with the crowds thinning out after that.

I didn't get to see the floats as they motored by, but I saw quite a few in the staging area on West Main before the parade began. There were many nice entries, and it was good so see so many folks involved. But my personal favorite was the Dancing Dora who was part of the Zaxby's entry. They had Elmo, Shrek and Spongebob, but it was Dora who stole the show, strutting her stuff all the way up Main Street. Honestly, if anyone has video, they need to put it up on YouTube. It would be a national sensation. All I was able to get was a few still pictures:

Overall, it was a great time. The kids had fun riding on the float and waving at people, and everyone there seemed to walk away a little bit more in the holiday spirit.

For more parade coverage, see Sunday's CN.

1 comment:

MrsRobbieD said...

Yeha Dora and crew were great, hugging and waving at kids, etc. Although a few of the costumes looked to have seen better days but the kids didn't mind. My son said he wanted to go to a parade with Justice League characters b/c those others were ones my daughter liked. Kids are too funny!