Monday, April 20, 2009

Favorite shows, past and present

Wednesday is a good day, because it means “Lost” is on. It’s pretty much my favorite show these days.

Sure, it’s a bit weird, as far as TV shows go; and it’s probably more sci-fi than I would normally like. And I certainly would pity the poor soul who would start watching the show right now and even try to obtain a remote understanding of what the heck is going on. But it’s must-see TV for my wife and me, and we’ve been known have entire conversations debating what might happen in the episodes to come. We’re pretty geeky that way.

“Lost” is one of the only shows I try to watch every week. Another would be “The Amazing Race,” though that Emmy-winning reality show has lost some of its freshness the past few seasons, and if I missed an episode or two, it probably wouldn’t break my heart.

In past years, I’ve been a fan of “American Idol,” though I’m proud to say I haven’t watched a single second of the show this season. It was neat for a few years, but if you ask me, it’s kind of run its course. There’s only so long you can go on watching karaoke-esque performances and sardonic critiques from Simon.

When I think about it, there’s only a handful of television shows from my lifetime that I would truly call favorites. There are hundreds that I’ve sat through, but far fewer that I’d really rate as exceptional TV.

In recent years, “The West Wing” rates as one of the best. It was actually midway through its run before I discovered the political drama. But once I watched, I was hooked, and I was sad when it went off the air. America could use a little Jed Bartlet these days. The Bravo cable channel still airs “West Wing” reruns, and thanks to this and my handy-dandy DVR, I’ve been able to catch all the early episodes.

Another all-time favorite for me is “M*A*S*H.” I was but a child when the show aired in its original run, so it wasn’t until college that I fell in love with the show. One of the local stations used to air a “M*A*S*H Triple-Play” every weeknight, so we could catch a full 90 minutes of Hawkeye, Hot Lips, Trapper John and the rest almost every night of the week. Though it’s been 26 years since a new episode has aired, the show remains relevant today, and I’m still known to tear up when I watch the finale.

Thursday night has always been a big night for TV, and never was that more true than in the 1980s, when NBC ruled the night with the knock-out lineup of “The Cosby Show,” “Family Ties,” “Cheers” and “Night Court.” All were great, but my favorite was “Family Ties.” It was one of the last great family-based sit-coms, and much of my early political ideology was influenced by Alex P. Keaton, played memorably by Michael J. Fox.

I probably ought to throw “Little House on the Prairie” on this list as well. “Little House” is one of the first shows I remember watching religiously, usually laying on the floor with my sister, both of us in pajamas, and ready for bed as soon as the closing credits rolled. I still remember how much I hated Nellie Oleson, or “Mellie,” as I called her.

“Lost” will no doubt rate among these classics, at least for me. The producers and writers have determined there will only be one more season, once the current one is complete. And so while I am excited for each subsequent episode, I almost also a little sad, knowing that with each episode, the end is nearer.

There are times when I wish our lives weren’t as centered around the television as they are. But I’ve concluded that it’s just the way things are. No doubt we all need to get up off the couch a little more, but there’s nothing wrong with getting some quality entertainment from the tube a few nights a week, too.

Especially when there are shows like “Lost” on every Wednesday night.

No comments: