Monday, April 13, 2009

Older now, but still running against the wind

Scratch one off the list.

A few months ago, I made a list of things I hoped to accomplish this year. It was one-part New Year's resolution, and one-part "ways to not waste the year away." Kind of a carpe-diem, "bucket list" for 2009, if you will.

Well, on Sunday, I ran in — and completed — my very first 5K run. And with that, I am on my way toward completing my personal agenda for the year.

I've been doing the fitness thing for about a year now, trying to eat a little better, and exercising a few times a week. But I felt like I needed an added sense of accomplishment, to do something I wouldn't have been able to have done before.

So, a few weeks ago, I threw my hat over the wall and signed up to run in a 5K. I chose a race in nearby Marion. It was labeled a "family fun run," which seemed about right for my skill level. And I figured that by April, the weather might be showing some signs of stability.

Well, I was at least half-right. The field of runners was just about perfect for me. Some old, some young; some fit, some not-so-much; some expert runners, some novices. I finished with a time of about 29:29, which was about the middle of the pack, and just a few minutes off the pace for placing in my age division.

Weather-wise, I probably could have done a little better. It was just a little windy. And by "just a little," I mean "hurricane-strength." At least it seemed that way for a while. Toward the end of the run, we had a long stretch with the wind in our faces, up a slight incline. Not fun.

Other than the wind, though, the weather was fine. Luckily, the cold front that brought January-like temperatures to the area for a few days didn't roll through until later in the evening.

My philosophy going into the race was something I had seen printed on a t-shirt: "Finishing dead last is better than not finishing. And not finishing is better than not trying." So I was pretty happy with my performance. Not only did I finish, but I had a respectable time, especially for a 36-year-old who just a year ago was a fast-food-eating couch potato. And to cross the finish line, with my family on hand cheering me on, was one of the coolest things I have gotten to do in a while.

The highlight of the day, though, might have been the 100-meter dash held for little kids. In the 7-and-under age group, my 6-year-old son, Drew, bested the entire field, taking first place. "I smoked 'em!" he said, after finishing. And in the 8-and-up division, 9-year-old Katie took third place. Had she not gotten crowded out of position at the start, I have little doubt she would have won as well.

The kids both got little plastic medals for their finish. Later, Drew said I could have his, saying "You're the winner to me, Dad."

So I guess you could say it was a good day, and I'm looking forward to doing it again sometime. It is really amazing how for 29 minutes and change, the problems of the world seemed to fade away, leaving only the sound of my feet hitting the pavement and the wind blowing across my face. I've already perused the Internet for races in the months ahead, and there are a couple of area offerings that look promising. Maybe I'll recruit a few folks to run with me next time.

I just hope we can find a race where there's not going to be any wind.

1 comment:

ssouth said...

Do the Go St. Louis Marathon/Half-Marathon next April!! You can run with my dad;) And you'd have lots of fans cheering you on!

Congrats on your big accomplishment and the litlins too!